Low Back Pain will affect 80% of people in their lifetime. As the majority of the population ages, the incidence of Low Back Pain will increase.
There are many approaches to treating Low Back Pain, and in this post, I will briefly point out why Acupuncture should be an option for treatment.
Here are 4 Scientific Physiological Reasons why acupuncture can relieve pain.
- Nervous System is stimulated. Acupuncture needles have proven to stimulate specific points that release pain-relieving chemicals within our body. Opioid-like chemicals are naturally produced in our body which have the same pain-relieving properties as some prescribed drugs. (i.e. Hydrocodone or morphine)
- Neurotransmitters are released. Neurotransmitters are responsible for, lack of better words, turning your nerve endings “on and off”. Acupuncture can stimulate the ones that “switch off” the pain signals from the nerves.
- Numbs the Pain. Acupuncture can hyper-stimulate nerve endings causing a “numbing” or analgesic effect therefore causing relief from pain and discomfort.
- Improve Circulation. The insertion of the acupuncture needle causes your body to rush fresh white blood cells (macrophages) to help heal the area being treated.
Credible medical trials on acupuncture for the treatment of back pain show great results with very little risk of side effects. Also, better results occur when combined with other therapy such as massage, physiotherapy and/or chiropractic.
Benefits of Acupuncture:
- Decrease or elimination of muscle and/or nerve pain and discomfort
- Decrease or elimination of tingling or numbing sensations
- Improved range of motion of muscles and joints
- Excellent when combined with other forms of rehabilitation
- Decrease or eliminate the need for medication
Our team specializes in medical acupuncture to treat a variety of conditions. Call Guelph Rehab today to discuss incorporating acupuncture into your treatment plan today.